Everyone knows that Mother’s Day is all about showing your mom you really appreciate everything she has done for you. Whether Mom prefers a simple breakfast in bed or a family brunch, these low-carb, low-calorie, flavorful and filling recipes are sure to delight!
BRUSSELS SPROUTS HASH W/ SOFT POACHED EGGS AND ALEPPO CHILI PEPPER
Delicious, hearty, and flavorful! Save time by buying pre-shredded Brussels sprouts, which can usually be found in the bagged salads section at the grocery store. You can also substitute the poached eggs with sunny side up or scrambled eggs.
- 3 slices bacon (optional)
- 4 Cups sliced Brussels sprouts
- Â½ small onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-8 eggs, poached
- finishing salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Pinch Aleppo pepper (or chili flakes)
- If using bacon, crisp bacon up in a skillet, then set aside on paper towel. Wipe out pan, and re-use, heat 1 tbsp oil over med high heat, and add onions, stir for 2-3 minutes. Add sliced Brussels sprouts and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to medium and stir frequently, until Brussels sprouts are melting and tender, about 7 minutes. Crumble cooled bacon into the Brussels sprouts, stirring to incorporate. Keep on very low heat while making eggs.
- Poach eggs to desired done-ness. Divide Brussels sprout hash among 3-4 bowls. Top with eggs. Sprinkle eggs with finishing salt, cracked pepper and Aleppo pepper (or chili flakes).
- Serve immediately.
ASPARAGUS & FETA CHEESE CRUSTLESS QUICHE
This quiche is full of nutrients and flavor, but low on calories and carbs. This is a simple make-ahead breakfast that is also a good option for dinner.
- 8 oz. asparagus (preferably thin spears), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus pieces and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, water, thyme, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously to break up the cottage cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie dish. Sprinkle the asparagus throughout the egg mixture, then top with the feta cheese.
- Bake until the egg is just set and a small, sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let the quiche rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 6 wedges. Serve.
LOW CARB CREAM CHEESE PANCAKES
Only 2 Ingredients!!! This low carb alternative to pancakes is simple to make and high in protein so it is very filling. The mixture will make one big pancake or two medium sized so remember to increase the recipe as needed.
- 2 eggs
- 75g cream cheese (2.5 oz)
- Add some butter to a pan on medium heat.
- Throw the cream cheese and eggs into a bowl and mix with a fork until creamy. Alternatively you can use a blender, but remember to let the batter sit for a minute or two! It’ll cook better then.
- Pour the mixture into the pan, cook for approx. 8 minutes.
- Serve with fresh or thawed frozen berries and a dollop of non-fat plain Greek yogurt.