Fast Food Dining Survival Guide: From time to time you find yourself in a position where dining at a fast food restaurant may be your easiest or only option. But don’t panic and think your diet is completely ruined, if you are strategic in what you order there are ways to survive the fast food experience.
Chick-Fil-A is one of the best fast food options to for eating healthy. They offer a variety of low-calorie sandwiches, salads and side items. Best strategy to use is order grilled items, salads and soups. Avoid the fried items and substitute fries for other alternative side items.
• Egg White Grill
• Market Salad
• 8 Count Grilled Nuggets
• Superfood Side Salad
• Chicken Noodle Soup
Known for their burgers and fries this fast food giant has done a lot of overhauling to their menu in the past few years to create healthier options. When visiting McDonald’s avoid the desserts and fried items and focus on the salads, wraps and yogurt parfaits.
• Egg White Delight McMuffin
• Classic Egg McMuffin
• Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken
• Artisan Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Generally Panera Breads’s menu has a good variety of healthy low calorie options. Avoiding the bakery section is key to success when dining there. They offer a roster of salads, soups and sandwiches but be careful of the added calories from toppings and sauces. The pick two menu is a great way to try a variety of items with small portions.
• Greek Yogurt with Mixed Berries
• Ham, Scrambled Egg & Cheese on Whole Grain Pan Loaf
• Low Fat Chicken Noodle Soup
• Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad With Chicken
• Half Roasted Turkey and Avocado BLT with a Seasonal Greens Salad
Wendy’s offers just as many good choices as they do bad, so there is a variety of ways to eat healthy. Items like chili, apple slices and their large salad selection make it easy to have a balanced meal when visiting this chain. Be sure to opt for grilled items and wraps and pair those items with a side salad.
• Ultimate Chicken Grill
• Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (hold the blue cheese)
• Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad
• Grilled Chicken Wrap with Garden Salad (no croutons)
Starbucks is not only a global coffee giant but it has become a new staple in the fast food industry. Always make sure to pay attention to calories and add ons in the coffee drinks as well as avoid many of the pastry items. The trick to staying on track at Starbucks is paying attention to the nutritional information that is posted with almost every item they serve.
• Spinach, Feta and Egg White Sandwich
• Hearty Blueberry Whole Grain Oatmeal
• Hearty Veggie and Brown Rice Salad Bowl
• Zesty Chicken and Black Bean Salad Bowl